Buyers Sentiment Index
What is the SMU Buyers Sentiment Index?
- A measurement of the current attitude of buyers and sellers of flat rolled steel products in North America regarding how they feel about their company's opportunity for growth in today's market.
- Positive readings will run from +10% to +100% and the arrow will point to the right hand side of the meter indicating a positive sentiment.
- Negative readings will run from -10% to -100% and the arrow will point to the left hand side of the meter indicating negative sentiment.
- A reading of “0” (+/- 10%) indicates a neutral sentiment which is most likely an indicator of a shift occurring in the marketplace.
- Readings are developed through Steel Market Update market surveys which are conducted every other week.
- Currently we send invitations to over 800 North American companies to participate in our survey. Our normal response rate is approximately 200 companies. Of those responding approximately 48% are manufacturing companies, 48% are service centers/distributors and the balance is made up of steel mills, trading companies and toll processors involved in the steel business.
- Steel Market Update does canvass those being invited to participate in order to confirm their active participation in the flat rolled steel business. Our list is updated at least once per month and we are adding new companies on a continuous basis.
The full SMU Buyers Sentiment Index explanation, along with historical charts and graphs, can be found by clicking here.