Steel 101 Workshop - June 22-23, 2017 - Ontario, CA
Steel 101: Introduction to Steel Making & Market Fundamentals
Steel Market Update's Steel 101 workshop is the premier industry training for understanding steel making and market fundamentals. Workshop instructors have a combined 165+ years' experience in the steel industry.
The workshop will focus on all aspects of flat and long product production, quality, and market drivers. Participants will tour a steel mill which specializes in flat rolled products, and see firsthand all stages of production.
Attendees will also receive a comprehensive workbook as well as access to related resources on the Steel Market Update website.
This workshop is the perfect training for anyone involved in the steel industry, whether you are just starting out, or simply want to learn more about how steel is produced and sold.
Our next workshop will be held on June 22-23, 2017 in Ontario, California and will include a tour of the California Steel mill. We will host the workshop at the DoubleTree by Hilton Ontario Airport. We have negotiated a rate of $129 plus tax for Steel 101 attendees. Click here to book your stay online or call 1-800-222-8733 and use the code SMU.
- Understand how steel is made (flat and long)
- Understand where steel is used
- Understand what drives steel market pricing
- Understand how you can navigate the market
- Identify raw materials used in steelmaking
- Understand the melting and casting process
- Understand the rolling processes for both flat and long products
- Understand the coating process for hot dipped products
- Understand quality issues that affect steel
- Recognize the differences between fully integrated and mini-mills
- Understand the fundamentals that move market pricing
- Understand how steel is bought and sold
- Identify potential risks in the steel supply chain
- Understand available data, tools and resources
DoubleTree by Hilton Ontario Airport
222 N. Vineyard Avenue
Ontario, CA 91764
Reservations: We have negotiated a group rate for Steel 101 attendees of $129 per night plus tax. Click here to book your stay online. To make a phone reservation, call 1-800-222-8733 and use the code SMU. Be sure to book by June 7th, 2017 to receive the negotiated rate.
Weather/Dress: Attire for the mill tour on Thursday is closed- toed leather type shoes (no heels), long pants, and a long sleeve shirt. Safety jackets, hard hats, safety glasses, and ear plugs may be provided by the mill. Friday session is business casual.
Workshop Schedule: Day One
|Registration / Breakfast:||7:00 - 7:30 AM|
|Raw Materials:||7:40 AM | Raw Materials: What Makes Steel?|
|Instructor: John Eckstein|
|Steel Making:||8:40 AM | Blast Furnace/BOF/Casters and Electric Arc|
|Furnaces: The Steel Making Process|
|Instructors: John Eckstein & Peter Wright|
|Coffee Break:||09:50 AM|
|Flat Rolled:||10:00 AM | Flat Rolled Products - Coil & Sheet, Plate|
|Products:||Coated Products (Galvanized/Galvalume/Aluminized)|
|Instructors: Steve Painter & John Eckstein|
|Long Products:||11:00 AM Long Products|
|Instructor: Peter Wright|
|End Session:||12:00 PM | Load Shuttle for Steel Mill Tour|
|Luncheon:||12:20 PM | Arrive at Mill- Luncheon and Introduction|
|Mill Tour:||1:00 PM | Mill Tour: Mill will provide guides with SMU instructors as back-up for one-on-one questions.|
|End Tour:||4:30 PM | Load Shuttle for Hotel|
|End Day 1:||5:00 PM | Arrive back at hotel|
|Cocktail Reception:||5:30 – 8:00 PM | Cocktail Party/Networking Dinner|
Workshop Schedule: Day Two
|Breakfast:||7:00 - 7:30 AM|
|Round Table Review||7:30 - 8:00 AM|
|Quality & End Uses||8:00 AM | Instructors: John Eckstein, John Packard & Steve Painter|
|Commodities & Pricing:||9:00 AM | How to gauge the impact of iron ore, coke, scrap and other commodities have on steel pricing.|
|Instructor: John Eckstein|
|Steel Pricing:||10:15 AM | How flat rolled & long steel products are bought and sold|
|Instructors: John Packard & Peter Wright|
|Steel Market Fundamentals:||11:00 AM | Identifying and Understanding Global & Domestic Fundamentals|
|Instructor: Peter Wright|
|Risks in the Supply Chain:||
12:45 PM | Identifying Potential Risks in the Steel Supply Chain that May Impact You
|Instructor: John Packard|
|Available Tools & Resources:||1:45 PM | Understand the data, tools and resources available for industry participants to actively follow the market|
|Instructor: John Packard & Peter Wright|
|Closing Remarks and Q&A:||2:45 PM|
|End Day 2:||3:00 PM | End of Workshop|
John Packard is the publisher and founder of Steel Market Update and has spent over 30 years selling light gauge flat rolled steel: hot rolled, cold rolled, galvanized and Galvalume. Since 1977, he has been an active participant in the flat rolled steel business in North America. His background provides the unique flavor and quality of Steel Market Update. John has held positions in the service center, steel mill and trading company segments of the flat rolled steel industry.
John Eckstein recently retired from Severstal Sparrows Point as Division Manager of Quality & Technical Services. He has 40+ years of steel experience in operations, metallurgy and engineering covering blast furnace and rolling operations on all flat rolled products.
Steve Painter recently retired from Severstal NA after spending 46+ years with Sparrows Point. Steve was the regional manager of sales and sold plate, hot rolled, hot rolled pickled & oiled, cold rolled full hard and fully annealed, galvanized, Galvalume, black plate and tin mill products. He is an expert in light-gauge steel framing.
Peter Wright is the owner of Steel Market Analysis Inc and provides contract services for several metals industry organizations including Steel Market Update. He retired from Gerdau in September 2010 as Director of Marketing North America. Previously he held the positions of chief metallurgist British Steel Corporation and vice president of bar production and sales with Chaparral Steel Company.
Mario Briccetti is Principal of Briccetti and Associates - a supply chain consulting firm. Most recently he was VP of Purchasing for Metal Sales Mfg. Previously he was VP of Purchasing for Gibraltar Strip Steel and Director of Supply Chain for Nordyne. Mario has an MS in Electrical Engineering from Syracuse University and has 15 years of experience in buying steel and 20 years of experience in mechanical and electrical engineering.
- $2000 per person - Includes all sessions (Raw Materials, Steelmaking, Flat Rolled Products, Long Products, Applications/End Uses, Steel Market Fundamentals, Risks in the Steel Supply Chain, Available Tools & Resources), workbook, and steel mill tour.
- Day 1 includes breakfast, lunch, snack break, transportation to and from the steel mill, and cocktail/networking dinner; Day 2 includes breakfast, snack break, and lunch.
- Includes comprehensive Steel 101 workbook and certificate of completion. Workshop counts towards 11 hours for ISM CPM recertification credits.
- Lodging costs are not included in the SMU registration fee.
- $100 Discount per person if their company is a Steel Market Update member.
- $100 Discount per person for companies who register two or more people for the same workshop.
- Steel Market Update will provide a full refund to attendees if a cancellation is requested 30 days or more prior to the start of the event.
- If a cancellation is requested less than 30 days prior to the start of the event, attendees may substitute another person from their company, or a credit memo can be issued for use in a future Steel Market Update Event.
- No cancellations may be requested after the start of an event.
|Event date:||06-22-2017 7:00 am|
|Event End Date:||06-23-2017 3:00 pm|