The Aug. 1 deadline is just about a week away to nominate the young up-and-comers in your organization for the second annual SMU NexGen Leadership Award, sponsored by the Steel Manufacturers Association. As an added incentive, qualifying nominees will be given free admission to this year’s SMU Steel Summit Virtual Conference. The award is designed to recognize and celebrate the excellence of emerging leaders within the greater steel community.
The winner will also receive:
- A mentorship day with Chuck Schmitt, President of SSAB Americas;
- A free place at one of the SMU Steel Workshops;
- And a free place at the 2021 SMU Steel Summit.
- Recognition at the 2020 Steel Summit Conference
- Article about the winner in SMU newsletter
So why wait? Reward your young talent by nominating them today
Nominating is easy. Simply complete a Word document defining what distinguishes the nominee as a NextGen leader, and upload it here.
What makes a great nomination?
Nominations should give clear examples of how the nominee has demonstrated excellence and leadership. All nominations will be judged on the following criteria and only those nominations that give solid examples of the below will be considered “Qualifying Nominations”:
- Identified ways to improve processes or service delivery
- Implemented change in a creative manner
- Inspired and encouraged professional and personal development in self and others
- Contributed to the success of an initiative that benefited those outside his/her own department
- Assisted in attracting other young people into the industry
- Recognized by peers as a positive force within the company
- Outstanding contributions toward completing a successful project and/or a change management program
After watching the process this past year we found companies that provide details of accomplishments are received the best. Also, you can self-nominate (don’t be bashful). At least one of our finalists last year was from a self-nomination.
This is a great opportunity to shine the light on the hard work of the people in your organization and celebrate it with the greater steel industry.
Give your staff the recognition they deserve and nominate now.
Brett LintonRead more from Brett Linton
Latest in Steel Products
BREAKING NEWS: Nucor slashes plate prices by $90/st
Nucor Corp. announced that its plate mill group would cut prices for as-rolled, discrete, and normalized plate with the opening of its April order book.
Leibowitz: The future of WTO dispute settlement in the MC 13 conference
This week, the World Trade Organization (WTO) ministerial conference convenes in Abu Dhabi, UAE. There are many issues on the WTO’s plate. The question is whether any resolution of these matters is likely or even possible. One of the most important issues is the future of the dispute settlement system, which has been rendered impotent […]
US rig count expands, Canada slips
Rig counts in the US and Canada were mixed again for the week ended Feb. 23. The US saw totals move higher, while Canadian rig figures slipped week on week (w/w), Baker Hughes’ latest data shows. US rigs The number of active rotary rigs in the US expanded by five to 626 from the previous […]
North American auto assemblies recover in January
North American auto assemblies recovered in January after a usual seasonal slowdown at year-end, according to LMC Automotive data. The result was driven by improved production across the region vs. December’s output.
Nucor board OKs new rebar micro mill for Pacific Northwest
Nucor Corp. announced plans to build a new rebar micro mill in the Pacific Northwest.