For almost eight years, Steel Market Update has been working in conjunction with the U.S. and Canadian steel mills on a basic steel training workshop for those involved in the flat rolled, plate and long product steel industries. We have trained in excess of 600 individuals ranging from people on their first day on the job as their first exposure to the industry to presidents of manufacturing and steel service centers who were looking for a refresher course.
What makes the Steel 101 workshop unique from others that may be offered by other organizations and steel mills?
- We work with multiple steel mills from around the country, allowing SMU to offer tours of “minimills” as well as fully integrated steel mills. Our Jan. 29-30 workshop will be working with Steel Dynamics (SDI) Columbus, Miss., mill, which is one of the largest flat rolled electric arc furnace mills in North America. The SDI Columbus mill produces hot rolled, HRPO, cold rolled, galvanized, Galvalume and has a paint line.
- As an independent organization, we do not look at the mill we are working with from a commercial perspective. Our focus is to provide a balanced and objective review of the steel making and rolling process, with the mill providing an opportunity for our students to see firsthand what we teach them initially in a classroom setting.
- We have a diverse group of attendees representing manufacturing, steel service centers and wholesalers, toll processors, steel mills (including the host mill but not limited to the host mill), trading companies, logistics companies and suppliers to the industry.
- We have an exceptional and highly experienced group of instructors who understand the industry from a number of perspectives. We have metallurgists (three), former purchasing managers, former salespeople with mill, service center and trading company experience, as well as executive experience in the service center segment of the industry. John Packard, President & CEO of Steel Market Update, who had 31 years of active steel experience before founding SMU, will lead the team.
- As with any Steel Market Update program, networking is an important part of the workshop. Attendees will be able to interact with our instructors one-on-one. They will also be able to interact with each other and the host mill at a special dinner/networking party at the end of the first day of the workshop.
- All breaks, meals and transportation to and from the steel mill are included. Hotel and transportation to the hotel from an airport or your place of business are not included.
Full details about our January workshop can be found on our website: www.SteelMarketUpdate.com/Events/Steel101 or you are welcome to contact us at info@SteelMarketUpdate.com or by phone at 772-245-8630 or 706-216-2140.
John PackardRead more from John Packard
Latest in Steel Products
Rig Counts Drop in US, Inch Up in Canada
The number of active oil and gas drilling rigs in the US dropped this week while Canada’s count increased by one, said oilfield services company Baker Hughes in its weekly report.
UAW President To Announce New Strike Plans on Friday Morning
The United Auto Workers (UAW) president Shawn Fain is scheduled to make an announcement on Facebook Live, according to the UAW International Union's Facebook page.
Sheet Lead Times Mixed, Plate Plummets
While lead times for sheet again had mixed movements this week, those for plate collapsed, according to SMU’s most recent market survey.
Biden to Meet EU Officials in Washington to Discuss Steel
US President Joe Biden is set to meet European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Charles Michel on Oct. 20 in Washington ahead of a deadline for an agreement on steel, according to a report in Reuters.
Ford Pauses Work on $3.5B Battery Plant: Report
Ford Motor Co. said on Monday that it has stopped work at its $3.5-billion project for an electric vehicle (EV) battery plant in Michigan, according to media reports.